Search

19 Feb 2026

Man ‘remorseful’ over garda assault

Man ‘remorseful’ over garda assault

A Longford man who allegedly assaulted a garda over the Christmas period has expressed his “extreme remorse” over the incident.
Frank Gearty, acting on behalf of Patrick Stokes, 6 Cartron Breac, Longford, said his client would be pleading guilty at the earliest opportunity and was especially contrite over his own behaviour.

That came following an incident at Longford garda station on December 27 when Mr Stokes allegedly assaulted a garda contrary to section 2 of the Non-Fatal Offences Against the Person Act.
He was also charged with using or engaging in threatening and abusive behaviour during the same incident and resisting a garda.

Mr Gearty said Mr Stokes had also come to court with €260 by way of a voluntary or “ex gratia payment”.
Mr Gearty said his client had been off alcohol for seven months but had suffered a relapse on St Stephen’s Day which ultimately led up to the aforementioned incident before the court.

Legal aid was also granted to the accused with Judge Bernadette Owens adjourning proceedings until February 7, 2023.

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.