Safety issues on a section of the R503 Newport to Limerick road were highlighted at the Nenagh Municipal District meeting on Thursday, February 19, with a local councillor warning that urgent action is needed.
Labour Cllr. Fiona Bonfield said three cars have already driven off the road and into the bog at Ballymackeogh so far this year. She warned that it is only a matter of time before there is a death on that stretch.
READ MORE: REVIEW: The Burned Man ignites stage with dark wit, gripping intensity and standout acting
The road has been flagged as dangerous repeatedly in the past, but Tipperary County Council has said major works are complicated and costly because the road sits on bog land.
At the meeting, the district’s roads engineer explained that the poor foundations mean the road is constantly moving, which makes it technically difficult to install permanent safety measures such as barriers.
He stated: "This is a national problem and it is not an easy solution, this is a widespread problem on bog ramparts." The engineer added that safety guards are not effective on bog rampart roads.
He also highlighted that frequent rain and poor weather make maintaining roads on boggy foundations particularly challenging.
He also said in his concluding statements on the matter that the council will continue to engage with the Department of Transport in search of a solution - "there is no quick and easy solution here, funding is the main obstacle."
Cllr Bonfield, representing the Labour Party, dismissed the explanation, saying safety must come first. “I can’t have a death on my conscience because I didn’t try hard enough,” she said.
She reiterated and strongly emphasized the need for action, noting that she is aware of people actively avoiding the road.
She insisted the road be made safe regardless of cost and called on the Department of Transport to send engineers to inspect the site first-hand.
READ MORE: LATEST: Construction underway on 307-home development in Tipperary














