Protesters have gathered in Edinburgh appearing to block a Home Office operation.
Campaigners congregated in the city’s Nicolson Square from about 7pm on Thursday after news of the action spread across social media.
Vehicles that appeared to be from the Home Office were spotted in the area earlier on Thursday.
Refuweegee, a charity that supports refugees and asylum seekers, told supporters to attend “peacefully”.
‼️‼️‼️EDINBURGH‼️‼️‼️
Immigration vans & police at Nicholson Square, Beirut restaurant in Edinburgh.
Please attend peacefully if you can. Your presence is important & makes a huge difference.
— Refuweegee 🧡 (@Refuweegee) May 5, 2022
Eyewitnesses said the scenes were reminiscent of a similar action that took place on Kenmure Street in Glasgow last year where hundreds of people surrounded an immigration removal van in a bid to stop the detention of two Indian nationals, Sumit Sehdev and Lakhvir Singh.
Lothian Buses diverted two routes, the number 2 and 47, as a result of the action.
2 47 – Diversion – Nicolson Square – https://t.co/L8XKeaVbCF
— Lothian Buses (@on_lothianbuses) May 5, 2022
Officers from Police Scotland were also at the scene.
The PA News Agency understands the Home Office has agreed to release the individuals detained on the condition that protesters disperse.
Police Scotland and the Home Office have been approached for comment.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.