The Turkish government has condemned Ukrainian drone attacks on two Russian “shadow fleet” oil tankers in the Black Sea.
Foreign Ministry spokesman Oncu Keceli said the attacks on the Kairos and Virat vessels happened inside Turkey’s exclusive economic zone and “posed serious risks to navigation, life, property and environmental safety in the region”.
In a social media post, he added that Turkey is holding talks with “the relevant parties” to prevent the spread of the war in Ukraine across the Black Sea and to protect Turkey’s economic interests.
Ukraine said it used naval drones to hit the tankers in quick succession off Turkey’s Black Sea coast late on Friday afternoon. Crew members on both vessels were reported to be safe.
The OpenSanctions database, which tracks people or organisations involved in sanctions evasion, describes the vessels as part of a fleet of ships used to evade sanctions imposed on Russia after its 2022 invasion of Ukraine.
Ukraine has carried out successful naval strikes against Russian shipping previously, particularly using explosives-packed marine drones. Those missions had largely been limited to the waters of the northern Black Sea.
Subscribe or register today to discover more from DonegalLive.ie
Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.
Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.