Search

30 Nov 2025

Three children among those killed in shooting at California birthday party

Three children among those killed in shooting at California birthday party

US authorities have appealed for help in finding the person responsible for a shooting that left four people dead, three of them children, at a birthday party at a banquet hall in California.

Heather Brent, a spokesperson for the San Joaquin County sheriff’s office, said the children killed in Saturday’s shooting were aged eight, nine and 14. She said a 21-year-old also was killed in the attack during the party in the city of Stockton.

“This was a birthday party for a young child, and the fact that this happened is absolutely heartbreaking,” Ms Brent said at a news briefing on Sunday at the site.

The sheriff’s spokesperson said the search continues for possible suspects. No arrests have been made.

Faith leaders in the Stockton area were planning a Sunday afternoon vigil to honour the dead and pray for the 11 people who were wounded.

Local officials pleaded with the public for help. Detectives are working to identify a possible motive.

“If you have any information as to this individual, reach out immediately. If you are this individual, turn yourself in immediately,” San Joaquin County district attorney Ron Freitas said.

The shooting occurred just before 6pm inside the banquet hall, which shares a car park with other businesses. Stockton is a city of 320,000 about 40 miles south of Sacramento.

“This is Thanksgiving weekend. This is when families come together, celebrate, share memories, give each other love,” Mayor Christina Fugazi said.

“Unfortunately tonight, heaven is a little bigger with the individuals, children and adults that unfortunately did not make it.”

Ms Fugazi recalled a shooting several years ago in which “seven people were gunned down” in the city, adding that both attacks were “unacceptable”.

“Stockton is better than this,” she said.

Authorities did not immediately provide additional information about the conditions of the victims. Officials said earlier that several were taken to hospitals.

“Families should be together instead of at the hospital, standing next to their loved one, praying that they survive,” Ms Fugazi said.

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.