Search

21 Feb 2026

Donald Trump says he will increase global tariff rate to 15%

Donald Trump says he will increase global tariff rate to 15%

US President Donald Trump has said he is raising the global tariff he wants to impose to 15%, up from the 10% he had announced a day earlier.

Mr Trump said in a social media post that he was making the decision “Based on a thorough, detailed, and complete review of the ridiculous, poorly written, and extraordinarily anti-American decision on Tariffs issued yesterday,” by the US Supreme Court.

After the court ruled he did not have the emergency power to impose many sweeping tariffs, Mr Trump signed an executive order on Friday night that enabled him to bypass Congress and impose a 10% tax on imports from around the world.

The catch is that those tariffs would be limited to just 150 days, unless they are extended legislatively.

Mr Trump’s post was the latest sign that the Republican president was intent on continuing to wield in an unpredictable manner his favourite tool for the economy and to apply global pressure.

His shifting announcements over the last year that he was raising and sometimes lowering tariffs with little notice jolted markets and rattled nations.

Saturday’s announcement seemed to a be a sign that Mr Trump intends to use the temporary global tariffs to continue to flex.

“During the next short number of months, the Trump Administration will determine and issue the new and legally permissible Tariffs, which will continue our extraordinarily successful process of Making America Great Again,” Mr Trump wrote on his Truth Social media network.

Under the order Mr Trump signed on Friday night, the 10% tariff was scheduled to take effect from February 24.

In addition to the temporary tariffs that Mr Trump wants to set at 15%, the president said on Friday that he was also pursuing tariffs through other sections of federal law which require an investigation by the Commerce Department.

Mr Trump made an unusually personal attack on the Supreme Court judges who ruled against him in a 6-3 vote, including two of those he appointed during his first term, Justices Neil Gorsuch and Amy Coney Barrett.

Mr Trump, at a news conference on Friday, said of the two justices: “I think it’s an embarrassment to their families.”

He was still seething on Friday night, posting on social media complaining about the pair and Chief Justice John Roberts, who ruled with the majority and wrote the majority opinion.

On Saturday morning, Mr Trump issued another post declaring that his “new hero” was Justice Brett Kavanaugh, who wrote a 63-page dissent.

He also praised Justices Clarence Thomas and Samuel Alito, who were in the minority, and said of the three dissenting justices: “There is no doubt in anyone’s mind that they want to, MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!”

To continue reading this article,
please subscribe and support local journalism!


Subscribing will allow you access to all of our premium content and archived articles.

Subscribe

To continue reading this article for FREE,
please kindly register and/or log in.


Registration is absolutely 100% FREE and will help us personalise your experience on our sites. You can also sign up to our carefully curated newsletter(s) to keep up to date with your latest local news!

Register / Login

Buy the e-paper of the Donegal Democrat, Donegal People's Press, Donegal Post and Inish Times here for instant access to Donegal's premier news titles.

Keep up with the latest news from Donegal with our daily newsletter featuring the most important stories of the day delivered to your inbox every evening at 5pm.